Spinal Tumor

Neurosurgeons & Spine Specialists located in Atlanta, GA
Spinal Tumor

Spinal Tumor services offered in Atlanta, GA

Spinal tumors can put pressure on the delicate nerves in your spine, leading to severe pain, muscle weakness, and other frustrating issues. Max Steuer, MD, the private practice of premier board-certified neurosurgeon Dr. Max Steuer, MD, and experienced physician assistant Carter Cooper, PAC, offers attentive spinal tumor care customized for your needs. They’re ready to help you return to the activities that matter most to you, so call the Atlanta, Georgia, office to schedule your consultation now.

Spinal Tumor Q&A

What are spinal tumors?

Spinal tumors are growths that form when abnormal cells rapidly multiply in your spine.  They may appear in your cervical (upper), thoracic (middle), or lumbar (lower) spine. 

About 80% of spinal tumors are benign (noncancerous), and the remaining 20% are malignant (cancerous).

Spine tumors can grow within the spinal cord covering (dura), on the dura, or in the spinal cord itself. Vertebral tumors describe growths on the bones of the spinal column (the vertebrae). 

What are the symptoms of a spine tumor?

Spinal tumors add extra tissue to your spine, which has limited space to accommodate it. The tumors often press on nerves in the spine, leading to discomfort. Both benign and malignant spinal tumors can cause symptoms such as: 

  • Pain at the tumor site

  • Pain that radiates to a leg or arm

  • Back pain that worsens at night

  • Back or neck stiffness

  • Numbness at the tumor site

  • Mobility issues, which may lead to falls

  • Loss of bladder or bowel control

  • Muscle weakness in your arms, hands, legs, or feet

Back pain is usually the first sign of a spinal tumor, but the symptoms may increase and worsen over time.

How are spinal tumors treated?

Treatment of spinal tumors depends on the kind of tumor, its size, how it’s affecting your spine, and your symptoms. 

Dr. Steuer sometimes discovers spinal tumors during the evaluation of another condition. If this happens and the tumor isn’t causing any structural issues or symptoms, he may recommend monitoring. Imaging tests like MRI or CT scans can periodically check the tumor for changes.

He understands how debilitating the effects of a spinal tumor can be, and he can work with you to find a path back to your active life. So, for symptomatic spinal tumors and those that threaten the spine or general health, he may recommend surgical tumor removal. 

As a highly skilled neurosurgeon, Dr. Steuer uses the most advanced minimally invasive techniques to safely remove as much of the tumor as possible using only a small incision. 

If he can’t remove the entire tumor without risking your spinal cord health, you may need radiation, chemotherapy, or both after the surgery. This can destroy the remaining abnormal cells. 

At Max Steuer, MD, leading neurosurgery specialists are ready to help you overcome disruptive symptoms and return to the activities you enjoy. Call the office to book your appointment today.